New Series: TurbulenceFD Tests

When evaluating a plugin’s usefulness, I like to ask the question “how hard would it be to do what this plugin does if I didn’t have it?” Well in the case of fluid simulation plugin Turbulence FD by Jawset, the answer is “damn near impossible.”

Creating animated fire had always been difficult. The way in which fiery flames move and behave is so organic that attempting to create it purely from software can fall pretty flat. Often times my best bet would use clips of real fire and composite it together in my project, it was as realistic as I could get.

Once I saw what TurbulenceFD could do inside Cinema 4D, I was amazed. Getting great looking fire looked so easy, with lots of flexibility inside of my own 3D project. But once I started using the plugin I was a little lost initially. Then I got sidetracked for over a year with other material and forgot just about everything I learned initially.

So once I got back to square one, I did things differently this time. I feel like there’s not a whole lot of great material available for learning TurbulenceFD online. Many tutorials tend to just plug in numbers in different parameters and skip out on explaining why you’re doing what you’re doing with the plugin. So as I tried learning the ins and outs of the plugin, I decided to renderer out some tests to visually understand how the parameters change the fluid simulation. My process was to just change  one parameter at a time, then compare and contrast the results side by side to see how the change affected the simulation. And I figured as long as I was learning the plugin,  I figured maybe I could help other out a little too by posting and explaining the comparisons.

All these test videos can be found here, and on my Vimeo album if you want to sort through them that way. Here’s a sample file which I used as the starting point for all these sims. I’m still learning the plugin and getting better at it, so I’ll keep posting videos as I go along.